It’s about bed time and you’re getting a snack craving.The challenge for those on keto or intermittent fasting diets is: what can you have without breaking your fast or adding unnecessary carbs and calories? Also, what can you eat without disrupting good sleep hygiene habits, which help you loose weight?
So, instead of raiding the kitchen for whatever leftovers we can find in the cheese drawer, or cracker cupboard and eating them by the light of the refrigerator, here are the 6 reasons to consider vegetable broth to comfort your cravings:
- Savory flavors make your head feel satisfied.
Researchers have found that consuming a broth rich in umami -- or savory taste
-- can satisfy hunger more often than eating sweet or sweetened items.
- Vegetable broths are usually under the 50-calorie
threshold for eating during a fast. Clear vegetable broth mostly consists of
the "essence" of the vegetables that it comes from and not the bulk
- Vegetable broth can be less upsetting to your stomach
and cause less acid build up while you sleep.
- Eating late at night may result in less hunger
the next morning, so your fasting hours will likely be easier before your first
- Just like a warm cup of tea before bed, a warm
cup of broth has the same soothing effect and can help you relax.
- Unnecessary fats from animal-based broth or bone broth can disrupt sleep because they activate digestion in your stomach, which can lead to frequent night time trips to the bathroom.